After I've gone over this page, take the source code from the finished example, then paste it into a blank text edit file, and save it as an html page to your computer. Edit the css for the page, and make the following stylistic changes:
1. change the names of all the nav buttons, and make them all external links to actual websites.
2. change the font face in the nav bar.
3. change the color of the nav bar, including in the "hover" state.
4. change the dimensions of the padding on the nav bar.
We'll also talk about wire framing, and lay the groundwork for:
1. A website wireframe prepared for one of the sites you picked that is in the same "genre" of the site you'd like to make, their first and second level pages. A wireframe example (click to enlarge):
2. You'll make a website flowchart as well (you can do a google image search for "website wireframe" and "website flowchart" to see examples). A flowchart example (click to enlarge):